Saturday 21 December 2013

Day four began at 4:45 AM.  I had time for a quick shower before breakfast and made a cuppa for my wife, even though I'm not allowed caffeine myself.  I drank water though, about a litre and a half to make sure I would not be dehydrated when I arrived.  We left the house at 6AM and by some miracle of unpredictability, arrived at the Royal Free Hospital at 7:10 AM.

I was forty minutes early, so the Radiotherapy Department was still locked, so we went inside the main building and a cleaner showed us how to get into the Radiotherapy building despite the locked door,  The receptionist arrived at 7:45 so I had time before even starting to prep.

The enema worked really quickly but I waited until the right time before starting to drink water.  I said hello to my fellow patients as they arrived and thought happy thoughts until my time arrived at 9:50 AM, by which time I was desperate for a pee, but that was not going to happen.  As the radiation treatment went on, the urge to piss was becoming more and more painful.  By the time it ended, I jumped from the bench and ran to the toilet without even doing up my shoelaces.  It's a blessing in retrospect, that I didn't go arse over tit.

So... once that was all over, we started back on the same journey in reverse.  This time, it took two hours. That shows how traffic slows down in London as the day goes on.  Also... as a special treat, Andrea had said a cup of coffee on Saturday after treatment was acceptable as long as I didn't drink any on Sunday.  Man that was one awesome cup of Douwe Egbert's.

No comments:

Post a Comment