Wednesday 18 December 2013

First day of Radiation Treatment.

I get up at 5AM and take Abiraterone.  Then I go back to sleep.  Next thing I know, it's 6:30 AM and my wife is chivvying me along so I go and shower, eat breakfast with prednisolone and set off for the bus stop.

Three bus rides later, we (my wife and I) are at the Royal Free Hospital and I'm ready to prep.  Fuirst I have to take an enema.  Half an hour later, I empty bladder and bowels.  Then I have to drink 500 mil of water in 15 minutes and hold it for forty five... but I'm early and I can't hold it, so I have to top up again with another 500 ml.  Then the radiographer comes.

I'm led into the "controlled" area, lie down and for twenty minutes get zapped with radiation.  When I've finished she gives me a sheet of paper with my attendances for the next two weeks.  I have to come in on Saturdays because Christmas day and Boxing day are impossible.  Time svary, and for some of them, I have to be at the Royal Free for 7:45... not looking forward to that at all.

I come home to a huge pile of presents from my lovely colleagues at work.  Thanks for that guys.  It's not the presents themselves, some of which are chocolate, which I won't be able to eat until February... it's the thought that really does count in this case, that all these people are thinking of me and care for me.  I blush with delight at the very thought of it.

Tomorrow I need to be there by 9:45, not a problem at all it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment