Monday 23 December 2013

Nothing much to report from Sunday save a crawl around Tesco to get the week's shopping and otherwise a day much as that described in Ray Bradbury's story, Getting Through Sunday Somehow.

So, Day 5.  Again, I was awake in the wee small hours and in the cold and dark took a bus first to Euston and then to the Royal Free Hospital.  On the way, the driver stopped and opened his doors at every stop whether there were passengers there or not.  My wife began complaining about the slowness of our passage so we got off and changed buses, but we still arrived with ten minutes to spare.

Today, the enema worked really quickly and within half an hour I was shitting my insides out.  I also sat on the toilet certain I was about to vomit but mercifully I did not.   The treatment itself was fine except for one moment when I had the notion that my arm was in the way of the beam so I moved it up slightly before getting the voice of the radiographer going "Nice and still, we're nearly done".  And, by 11:40 we were done.

I've been getting a strange side effect, although whether that's or radiation or depression (or even exhaustion), I'm not sure.  I've felt alienated from my body as if I was watching myself on a film (and a fairly boring film at that).  This dissociation comes and goes, but seems to happen several times a day.  I'll ask Maria (Dr Maria Vilarino-Varela) about it when I see her next.

This afternoon, I had a call from the Stampede trial nurse, suggesting that my appointment with Maria be cancelled next Tuesday.  After discussion, we decided not to cancel it after all, because the protocols of the Stampede trial requires that I be seen by an oncologist every four to six weeks and my appointment has already been delayed by a week.

I have my prescription for Goserelin.  Let's hope I can get it filled before 31 December, that's by no means certain given the disruption that is Christmas.  I also have an appointment to speak to a doctor at 10 O'Clock on Friday but I'll have to cancel that tomorrow on account of the fact I'll be getting treatment at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment