Thursday 16 January 2014

Day 22:  As usual, it began in darkness and I reached the hospital in darkness (at 7:17 AM) after one of the three bus drivers on the route drove as if he was trying to see how slowly he could make the bus go before the engine failed on the hills.

Still on time, though so at 7:30 I began my preparation with an enema in the toilets, followed by a couple of hours sitting in front of the TV, but I couldn't honestly tell you what was on.

At 8:30 as usual, I began drinking water to ensure my bladder was full but just before that, Yann (one of the Radiology nurses) called me into his office to discuss how it was going and any symptoms.  I told him my anus was irritated.  He offered me drugs to numb it, but I told him that I wasn't quite ready for drugs yet.  I also told him I sometimes had the sensation of desperately wanting a piss, but that on some occasions, this feeling would go away, suggesting it wasn't caused by a full bladder.

The most useful thing from Yann (and I will wait and see if anything comes of it) that he'd try to get my oncology appointment on 28 January moved to the Radiotherapy Department so that it could all be managed as a single visit rather than me having to attend radiotherapy at 7:30 AM, finishing by about 10AM, going for a blood test and then having to wait until 14:20 for my oncology appointment.

As usual, he also gave me a bottle for my weekly urine sample.  I have to fill it after treatment at which point, of course, I was so desperate that, after fiddling with my underpants in a desperate attempt to find my penis, it was only a matter of luck that I didn't piss myself before I was able to collect the sample.  Luck prevailed though and I managed to fill the bottle without pissing all over myself or the floor.

On the whole, that was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment